Monday 10 June 2013

I'm Edwardian... Kinda

Hai everyone! I’m the new Mrs Edwards! Well, unofficially.

No no, we didn’t pike on getting married. We definitely got married on the 6th… but I will be retaining my maiden name.

I never thought it would be a big issue but lots of people have asked and almost seemed concerned that I’ve made such a decision. Admittedly, the husband (omg, what?) also wasn’t the biggest fan at first but he’s accepted my decision and still loves me anyway.

So… why am I not taking his name?

The simplest answer I can give you is that in Islam, one’s name is supposed to reflect their ancestry. Therefore, changing my name to Nadia Edwards would imply that Anthony and I are related.

Now we know that I’m not the most staunchest of Muslims… so why would I stick with tradition? Because, like some of the other religious rules that I do follow, I believe in the logic and rationale behind this one.

While I love Ant and he is a big part of my life, I believe it’s only fair to acknowledge my family in my identity. After all, they have brought me up and moulded me to the person I am today… since the day I was born. And the thing is, while I will (if I’m lucky) be married to Ant for the rest of our lives, my family too will be there for me till the end of my life.  I could have a double barrelled surname but to compare the impact my family has had on me to the impact Ant has, is unfair. As wonderful as Ant is, nothing he can do in the next forty years will be able to come anywhere close to what my family has done for me since I landed on Earth. And so, I believe it’s only fair to keep my father’s name as a reminder to myself to remember my roots.

Don’t worry,  I have no qualms about being called Mrs Edwards (and sometimes I find it quite amusing, especially when the hubby says it oh so adoringly). Just don’t expect to see any official paperwork declaring that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little corner of the blogosphere. I will endeavour to reply each and every comment :)